Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Who didn't want to be a Warlord?


Ah, 1981 and the thrill of the paddle controller in my hands being spun wildly as my grandmother and I threw balls of fire at each others castles. The memories...of mostly getting my keister kicked while playing her...my grandmother had a go for the jugular instinct that would shame most animals on Mutal of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
The Atari 2600 helped us both wile away many a hour during my youth and how could it not? Look at that artwork for the Warlords box, man, that is a manly knight and at the bottom you have a catapult flinging hot death and bringing low the enemies tower.
I love the current games on our next gen systems, don't get me wrong, but I am that old guy that has to explain to his wife that games in the past didn't have save spots...and didn't need 'em. ;)
The image above the Warlords box art is the updated X-Box 360 version which allows for a camera to display your humiltation at being beat by a ten year old.
I swiped the Warlords image from a great site that I highly recommend, http://www.atarimania.com/start.php It is full of love and attention for the old Atari systems...and I don't know about any of you but my 2600 still works and is quite a hoot to drag out now and again.

No comments: