Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"The Last Starfighter...


...is 25 years old. The Last Starfighter is 25 years old."
Did you ever notice that next to Grig's head is Xur's flying sceptre?
The Last Starfighter is obviously a huge influence in my life, I mean why else do I still hear Otis's advice to Alex every morning as I get ready to go to work, that man may have worked at a dinky little trailer park selling overpriced candy and soda...to someone...but that didn't make him any less of a prophet!
I rank this movie up there with Tron and Buckaroo Banzai in terms of movies that meant something to me as a whelp and still do. When in the next few months I pass on and my friends gather they'll most definitely say, "God, that guy sure had lousy tastes in movies!" But at the very least they'll check my coffin to make sure that who wrote these words and passed on wasn't a Beta unit...or Xandoxan.

3 comments:

Parson Roscoe said...

We ate at Pizza Inn after seeing this movie in the theatre...I remember hoping that they would do a sequel and make toys...alas..

Vic Sage said...

The Blue-Ray 25th anniversary edition came out yesterday and it has some still photos of some very interesting things.

It includes an alternate ending as well as promotional material, like action figures. Galoob toys made prototypes but it never went further than that...which is a shame because they looked pretty damn good.

Of course on the commentary they talk about the sequel...so who knows...maybe someday we shall see a Gunstar in the Wal-Mart aisles.

Dax said...

Man, the Xandoxan assassin scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it.