Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Cheeseburger and hold the onions!"




It took me a week but I finally have the time to get to my little blog about Activision's Pressure Cooker. Simply put it is one of the lesser known of the Activision catalog and that is quite a shame because while the game play is simple it is incredibly fun and quite addictive.

At this point in the life of the Atari 2600 there wasn't any real game magazines I could get my hands on, the closest I could find was Electronic Gaming and I was lucky if the local Food 4 Less received a copy every other month. So my buying decisions were made by company names, like I've stated before in earlier posts, Activision and Imagic were pretty much sure fire hits.

My Grandmother and I picked up Pressure Cooker at Kay-Bee toy stores, one of those ten dollar bins, and we just hoped that it would help to relieve some of the boredom of the Summer. Well, it did that and more as we both were hooked on the game just after a few minutes of playing, so much so that she and I took turns taking it home, so the one could play it at night.

As I've said the premise is quite simple, fill the orders for hamburgers, making sure to only accept the ingredients sent your way from the vegetable/dairy box to your left that comes flying out at you, if you accept it, you slap it on a burger on a conveyor belt to your right. As you can see from the last picture above, one hamburger needs tomato only, and two need onions only. Of course as the levels progressed there were more and more combos in regards to the ingredients. You were at the mercy of the ingredients though so in higher levels you really had to be on your toes and make sure you didn't drop or miss what you needed.

This game was kind of the precursor to Diner Dash.

No comments: