Tuesday, October 6, 2009

No Toe Jam nor Big Earl!



Thought I was going to have some big news for Stewed Hamm but today's announcement from Sega blew that out of the water.

"A very concerned Toe Jam and Earl fan writes on the official Sega forums that he received word from the creators of Sega Superstars Tennis and Sonic and Sega-All Star Racing, casting doubt on the funky duo making an appearance in the kart racing game—but not for a lack of wanting.

"ToeJam and Earl were characters we did want to include in Sega Superstars Tennis," according to "Steve," a representative from Sumo Digital. "Sega had looked into it, but it transpires that the rights to the characters actually belong to someone else. I know Sega tried to resolve this so we could include them – but this wasn't successful."

The same is unfortunately true for Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing "at this stage," news that may induce a serious panic on Funkotron.

A follow up from Sega Forum member and Kotaku tipster Nin MicroSega indicates that the current rights to the Toe Jam and Earl IP belong to one half of the creative team, Greg Johnson. We're guessing that Johnson could be persuaded to license said rights to the characters for the upcoming racer, given the necessary amount of compensation and vocal fan support.

Would you voice your support for such a thing? What if the addition of TJ&E in the 2010 Sega racer was a... pre-order exclusive?!"

Thanks to Kotaku for breaking the news.

Update: Starting tomorrow along with my bits of useless video game knowledge I will be adding to the posts a horror movie review until the 31st. Just because I love each and everyone of you dear readers.

Updated Update: Make sure to tune in on Thursday for a very special photo of myself...I found something in the attic I thought lost long ago.

1 comment:

Stewed Hamm said...

You know, this is the first I've heard of this... but any man who would withhold Toejam & Big Earl from humanity is a cold-hearted bastard. TJ&E was an amazingly fun game to play, despite whatever slanderous lies Dax may try to tell you. It was the first game that hooked me on the fun of co-op play - something that very few games have done since.
You know, If I could find some cool shorts like that, I'd totally go as Earl for Halloween. You know, assuming that I knew anyone with 3 legs.