Monday, November 9, 2009

Red 5...I mean Red Baron.




Red Baron was released by Atari in 1980, using graphics similar to Battlezone and a sit-down cabinet that I am sure they used for Star Wars three years later. I have never seen this game until this morning when doing some research.

You play an Allied World War I ace fighting in the air within your biplane taking on enemy planes, zeppelins, pillboxes, turrets, and enemy fortifications.

Digging a bit I found some interesting facts about this game and Battlezone, to run the game the arcade owner needed to purchase an additional "Auxiliary" board so that the machine could run the mathematical computation to render the 3-D environments.

Red Baron also had an, ahem, ace up its sleeve. It would remember the playing ability of the last 32 players and if they were doing to well it would crank up the difficulty level or lower it if need be.

No comments: