Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Billy Mitchell Holds Donkey Kong Record Again!

Billy Mitchell on Aug. 7th cracked the top score on both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., the very day he was inducted into the International Video Game Hall of Fame. Scoring 1,062, 800 on Donkey Kong and 1,270,900 nabbed Mitchell the ultimate in bragging rights.

Mitchell held the top score over Steve Wiebe which was documented in the King of Kong but lost his place on the throne when Hanks Chien netted 1, 061, 700 in March. Billy apparently stopped playing the game as soon as he bested Chien's high score. Mitchell is quoted as saying about his actions, "Some say I'm being cocky. Some say I'm being lazy. I say, I'm being Billy Mitchell."

I'm not quite sure how I missed this news but a big thanks to Twin Galaxies for the info and photo above, as well as to Kotaku.

I'll try to post some more info from the celebration last week at Ottumwa, it certainly sounds like a very big deal for those of us that love video gaming and its history.

This Looks Familar - Paul Williams

2 comments:

du8 said...

I have yet to see King of Kong yet...Hopefully in the near future...

Vic Sage said...

Take the time, du8, it is worth it.

Though to be fair there has been cries that it is a bit of...bias...documenting going on. I'm not saying the director wasn't being 100% honest with what went down but too many people are saying certain scenes are, shall we say highly edited?